On Medifast for 6 weeks

Karen S.
on 1/8/08 12:55 pm - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi Nicole, I am sure that Michelle has written you about Medifast. The doctor's office that Michelle and I are going to require you to lose 10% of your weight prior to surgery and they require that you use Medifast (which is a protein shake that you mix with water and you get 4 of these little babies a day) you may also have one lean and green meal (which is 4oz of lean meat and 2 cups of green salad) you must also drink 64oz of water per day.   So, for 6-8 weeks prior to surgery you start using 4 medifast shakes per day and your lean and green plus your 64oz of water...apparently recently they added broth to the mix.  You are then required to go to the MD's office weekly and be weighed, if you do not lose the 10% surgery can be cancelled. You cannot help but lose the 10% if you follow the Medifast.  My surgery was 8/29/07 and I lost 40 pounds prior to surgery due to the Medifast, which was over my 10% (I started out at 254).  Some people think that the Medifast is silly, but I think it helps to get you in the right frame of mind for this surgery, which is the need to make a life altering change from unhealthy eating and habits to healthy eating and exercising. Hope this helps explain what Medifast is and why Michelle is using it and why I used it. Karen Schworm

Nicole T.
on 1/8/08 9:45 pm
Thanks for the explanation. my doctor doesn't require anything before surgery, which i think is weird. i almost wish she did. i am on my own changing my eating habits and have already lost 4 lbs since the 2nd. so i am doing well. I might look into those shakes as a meal replacement. thanks.
Karen S.
on 1/9/08 1:55 am - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi Nicole, You are doing awesome.  Each doctor has their own protocols pre and post surgery, I have found out by reading posts on this web site...But I agree with you it is odd that they don't all require some sort of pre-surgery diet or meal plan.  I know that personally I am glad that my doctor did, I believe it helped me to be on Medifast and then have the surgery because when it came to that one lean and green meal, I savored every morsel of food and enjoyed every chew that I could, which prepared me for the post surgery chew, chew, chew, ha, ha. Good luck and keep up the awesome work.   Karen Schworm

Michelle P.
on 1/8/08 5:41 pm - Glens Falls, NY
Sorry I did not reply sooner - just checking the board!   Karen explained it!    Like she said it is something that that doctor requires.  
kleekelly
on 1/9/08 1:41 am - Hudson Falls, NY
Hey michelle, Try peppermint extract in the choclate, it tasts like mint chip ice cream...lol!  I cant find banana anywhere, something has to make the vanilla taste better, and i LOVE banana flavoring!  Good luck, i will call ya tomorrow!!!

Kristy 

Michelle P.
on 1/9/08 1:47 am - Glens Falls, NY
I will try that, I was also told to try raspberry, maple or strawberry!    I will see if i can find the peppermint also.   Varitey is the spice of life! Are things going better today? May I ask if you have a daughter in gymnastics at the YMCA? We are doing great!!!! Yes please do call
kleekelly
on 1/10/08 3:45 am - Hudson Falls, NY
yup...my alyssa is on the team at the ymca.... i will give you a call tonight!!!

Kristy 

Karen S.
on 1/9/08 1:49 am - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi Kleekelly, You can find the banana extract at Walmart, I also found Cherry extract which is super in the protein shakes.  Hope this helps.  Karen Schworm

Loretta B.
on 1/9/08 3:46 am - NC
Which department has the extracts?  Is it with the spices or with the protein powder and vitamins?
Karen S.
on 1/10/08 10:18 pm - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi Loretta, You can find the extracts in the spices isle, right next to the baking supplies.  Hope this helps.  Karen Schworm

Most Active